The best books about pirates (fact and fiction)

The best books about pirates (fact and fiction)
Visit my pirate book page on Shepherd.com

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Last Will & Testament of Mary Hallett



"Last Will & Testament of Mary Hallett" Barnstable County Probate Records Vol.8. April 19, 1734. In the Name of God Amen, this 19th day of April A. Dom. 1734.

Cape Cod legend has it that this woman may have been Samu­el Bel­lam­y's lover prior to his turn­ing pi­rate. She died in 1751.


          I, Mary Hallet of Yarmouth in the County of Barnstable New Eng­land Spin­ster being sound in Mind but sick in body ther­efore Calling to mind my Mortallity do make this my last Will and Testa­ment. First of all I Give and Com­mend my Soul into the hands of God who Gave it and my body to the Earth to be buried in Decent Mannner at ye Direc­tion of my Exec. hereafter Named not Doubting but at the Resurrec­tion I shall Receive the Same again by the Al­mighty Power of God & as to my Worldly Estate I dispose of it in the following Manner Vizt. in the first place I Give and bequeath to my Sister _____ Griffith my Wearing Appearell Including my two Gold Rings but not my Gold Bead­s, also I Give to my said Sis­ter my two Silver Spoons also One half of what Re­mains of my _____ Estate.
The other half of my Estate I Give to be Equally Divided among my Brethren and the Children of my Deceasd. Brother and Sister that is to Say one Sixth part of said Half to my Bro­ther Andrew Hallet one Sixth part to John Hallet one sixth part to the Surviving Children of Joseph Hallet one sixth part thereof to the Sur­viving Children of Samll Hallet Both my Deceased Breth­ren, one sixth part to Seth Hal­let and one sixth part to the Sur­viving Children of my Deceased Sister Thankfull Basset. Fi­nally I do consti­tute and Appoint my two Broth­ers Andrew Hallet and John Hal­let Exec. to this my last will and Testa­ment.  In Witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.
Signed, Sealed, Published and De­clared by the Said Mary Hal­let to be her last will and Testamt. in presence of
Mary Ha­llet
Thomas Hallett
Jonathan Hallett
Jonathan Hallett Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Piracy 2022

Women in Piracy 2022
Listen to my talk on what life was like for women in the early 1700s and what made them decide to sneak on board ships as sailors.

Tune in to my interview with Phil Johnson!

Tune in to my interview with Phil Johnson!
Positive reviews on itunes are appreciated!