The best books about pirates (fact and fiction)

The best books about pirates (fact and fiction)
Visit my pirate book page on Shepherd.com

Monday, July 4, 2016

More Levasseur in pirate fact, or fiction?

I found this interesting fictional log entry alleged to have been written by Israel Hands in 1717. It's from the novel Paragon Island by Erik Alexander Dresen. His novel is a “what-if” scenario of an Englishman finding the long-lost treasure of Olivier Levasseur. I thought it was an interesting speculation of what one of Levasseur's contemporaries might have written about him after meeting him.

Rough log entry on Saturday, January 23rd; we lay at Teach's Hole again, an Anchorage near Okerecoke Inlet; the Corsair with the Cognomen of Buzzard, thus Blackbeard called him by the fire of bones, about a score and ten summers at most, was of sanguine complexion, as if he was drinking in a sniff of pure sea breeze and a pinch of carmine brine for years. His frame was beefy and his features were sharp; a Heavy of his Calibre in the flesh. Caused by a cutlass but one of his eyes was damaged and there he had a Scar across his brow and right cheek. His sound eye was bluish, with a tinge of aquamarine and some turquoise scatterings, fixating on me as if it were seriously considering rounding on at the very next blink.

The longer I observed him, the more rapacious he appeared to me, with rapid moves, seemingly on the hunt for easy prey. The mere though of it provoked an uneasy feeling of being menaced in my guts. Once I pictured him as an albino creature; and his skull and the orbits were fully illuminated by blazing streams of sunlight, allowing his blood vessels to shine through.

'That's his real soul,' I figured instantly; and that vivid fancy of mine sent frosty shivers up and down my Spine. 'In sooth it's in my soul,' inkhorny as he spoke; and it was as though he's divined my thoughts. His pitch-dark plait was neatly stowed under a cocked Hat that was enthroned on his head askew. The Frenchman comported himself in an elegant, literate and gentlemanly manner, being a connoisseur of classical languages and endued with maritime prowess. Apart from his masterly touches, he was a real Ringleader and a Migrant afloat; and I reckon that he was leal and faithful unto Death.

His preponderantly French crew was an aggressive and bloodthirsty flock of inseparables of a feather. 'Birds of a feather flock together!' as that Captain used to say/ 'Howsoever,' I says, 'and so be it!'

I.H., Master of Teach's ship, 1717.

Paragon Island, by E.A. Dresen, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Piracy 2022

Women in Piracy 2022
Listen to my talk on what life was like for women in the early 1700s and what made them decide to sneak on board ships as sailors.

Tune in to my interview with Phil Johnson!

Tune in to my interview with Phil Johnson!
Positive reviews on itunes are appreciated!