The best books about pirates (fact and fiction)

The best books about pirates (fact and fiction)
Visit my pirate book page on Shepherd.com

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Correction to Pirate Photos


Well, last week I posted some drawings that were purported to be of the pirate Olivier Levasseur. It turns out the one that has been passed around the Internet as an actual drawing of him is from graphic novels written by the French author Michel Faure.

You can see a copy of the original drawing on the link below:


 
 I found these graphic novels available on Amazon, but they’re in French, and it doesn’t appear that he has any work available in English. I only did a quick search through Amazon and found these two, which appear to have La Buse as a topic:


 
If someone finds some of his work having to do with La Buse in English, please let me know, as I would love to read it!


 
So everyone got a chance to learn this week! My thanks goes to naval history expert Ed Fox for the corrections and for providing a ink to a copy of Mr. Faure’s original drawing.

The remaining drawings are of course artist’s renderings, as I said before. So while they may not be “authentic” pirate drawings, they are still interesting works of art with their own merit. So please enjoy them as such!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in Piracy 2022

Women in Piracy 2022
Listen to my talk on what life was like for women in the early 1700s and what made them decide to sneak on board ships as sailors.

Tune in to my interview with Phil Johnson!

Tune in to my interview with Phil Johnson!
Positive reviews on itunes are appreciated!